The Vermont Workers’ Center (VWC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt corporation founded in 1998 as a membership organization. The VWC organizes for economic and social justice in Vermont.
We are hiring part-time organizers to build VWC chapters in new regions of Vermont. Field organizers will organize a diverse base of working class and poor people through the Healthcare is a Human Right Campaign. The VWC’s organizing model centers leadership development, political education, relationship building, and organizing through transformative campaign work. As a member-run, low-staff grassroots organization, your job as a field organizer will be to foster organization amongst new members that ultimately sustains itself.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will vary but will include developing and carrying out an organizing plan for building a VWC chapter through the Healthcare is a Human Right Campaign in a given region. This means outreach activities like door knocking and public events, leading and coordinating political education, facilitating the participation of local members in statewide organizational activities and developing the capacities of local leaders to sustain and expand their chapter.
- Commitment to a grassroots approach to human rights organizing
- Personal discipline, time management and organization, ability to exercise good judgment and to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Good written and oral communication skills and computer literacy
- Driver's license, insurance and a reliable vehicle required
- Union or community organizing experience ideal
- Living in or near the Northeast Kingdom, Franklin, or Rutland Counties preferred
The VWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, gender-oppressed, LGBTQ, and working-class people are encouraged to apply.
Benefits: Benefits include health insurance, paid sick days, and vacation.
Details for applicants: The deadline to apply is **January 26th, 2017**. Those interested in applying after this date should first contact the organization. Please send a cover letter, resume, and professional reference with emails and phone #s to firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “VWC Application” in the subject line. (**Note that the deadline has been extended**)